Zhu Zhu is a Chinese TV host, singer, and actress who became popular in the country as an MTV China VJ. Her debut in Bollywood movie ‘Tubelight’ opposite none other Salman Khan, broadened her fan-base significantly.
Early Life and Education
Zhu Zhu was born on 19th July 1984 in Beijing into a military family. Her father Zhu Hanbin is a businessman, and Zhu Xuzhi her grandfather is a major general in the Chinese People’s Liberation Army. Zhu Zhu’s ancestral home is located in Linhai, Zhejiang.
Zhu attended the Beijing Technology and Business University and graduated with a major in electronics and information engineering. After graduation she gained admission into the Parsons School of Design. However, she did not take up the offer as she got work as a VJ and TV host of many popular shows on MTV China.
- Zhu Zhu had won a local singing contest that was held in Beijing, and was later placed 3rd at the national level. This is where talent scouts discovered her. Subsequently in 2005, she got the offer of joining MTV China as a VJ. She also worked as a host of different music shows on the domestic network of MTV China.
- In 2007, she signed with MBOX music label. Her first album as a singer was launched in 2009.
- Zhu made her acting debut in 2010 with the Chinese romantic comedy movie ‘What Women Want.’ It starred Gong Li and Andy Lau.
- Zhu made her Hollywood acting debut in 2012 when she portrayed the character of Qi Qi in the Russian Crowe starrer ‘The Man with the Iron Fists.’ The American made martial arts film also featured Lucy Liu, RZA, Cung Le, Byron Mann, David Bautista, Rick Yune, and Jamie Chung.
- 2012 was also the year when Zhu Zhu acted in the Wachowski siblings directed Hollywood movie ‘Cloud Atlas’. Her other works as an actor for 2012 included Secret Sharer and Shanghai Calling.
- Zhu Zhu landed her first lead role in the series titled ‘Great Mr. Zhou.’ Her performance was critically acclaimed and widely lauded. Since this series, Zhu started getting roles in big scale productions.
- Zhu had a supporting role in the Lu Chuan produced romantic comedy movie ‘The Old Cinderella’ in 2014. The same year she starred as the female lead opposite Ed Westwick in the movie ‘Last Flight.’
- Zhu began working on the Netflix American television series titled ‘Marco Polo’ in 2014. It premiered in Dec 2014.
- Zhu made her acting debut in Bollywood in 2017 with the movie ‘Tubelight.’ She stars alongside Salman Khan. The film released ob Eid 2017.
- Zhu is also slated to act in the 2018 Hollywood action movie ‘Pacific Rim: Uprising.’
- Zhu Zhu is 1.66 meters tall
- Zhu acted in English play ‘Beauty and the Beast’ when she was student in junior school.
- Zhu Zhu began to learn the piano when she was only 3 years old.
Zhu Zhu – Pictures