Here is a list of Bollywood movies which inspire us to dream big and back it up with action. A remarkable thing to note is that Aamir Khan has a huge role to play in Bollywood movies with motivational or inspirational theme.
- Lagaan (2001) – This movie is a fascinating story of how you can overcome the biggest of troubles if you stick together as one team. Lagaan is also a stellar example of how to develop leadership qualities. Aamir Khan as Bhuvaan, works on the strengths of every team member in spite of their weakness to beat the British team in a cricket match.
- Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011) – A beautifully layered film by Zoya Akhtar, it has the three buddies battling their fears. While the trio battle their phobias by facing them headon, they also end up confronting their inward fears, and emerge victors in the journey of life. It is also the best travel movie from Bollywood to date. The movie stars Hrithik Roshan, Farhan Akhtar, Abhay Deol and Katrina Kaif.
- Taare Zameen Par (2007) – Fabulously directed by Aamir Khan, the story is about a dyslexic child who is perceived and taunted by teachers for being academically challenged. Even his parents do not think much about the child; it helps when teacher Ram Shankar Nikhumb (Aamir Khan) shows that that every child is special and incredibly gifted in his or her own way.
- Rang De Basanti (2006) – Six youths do not really take their lives seriously but they do not mind playing actors to an English woman who wants to make a documentary on the revolutionary freedom fighters of India. As they play their parts, the men get drawn to the heroic personalities. But the real reckoner happens when an unexpected event impacts their lives. The movie stars Aamir Khan, Sharman Joshi, Siddharth, Soha Ali Khan, Kunal Kapoor among others.
- 3 Idiots (2009)- Two friends are on the lookout for a friend who has suddenly disappeared from their lives. This third friend was the one who had taught them the maxim of going after excellence, not success. The movie stars Aamir Khan, Sharman Joshi, R. Madhavan and Kareena Kapoor.
- Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar (1992) – One of the best films of the 90s, Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar is a story about an irresponsible, prankster of a student from a not-so popular college who surprises himself with his ability to take on the most popular student from an elite college, in a cycling competition. The movie stars Aamir Khan, Deepak Tijori, Marmik and Ayesha Jhulka.
- Chak De India (2007)- A failed, beleaguered hockey coach builds a hockey team of girls who end up as world champions. The movie stars Shah Rukh Khan, Chitrasi Rawat, Vidya Malvade, Shilpa Shukla and Sagarika Ghatge among others.
- Anand (1971) – A terminally ill becomes best friends with a frustrated loner and makes him see the bright side of life. The movie stars Rajesh Khanna and Amitabh Bachchan.
- Iqbal (2005) – A deaf and mute son of a farmer who has a passion for cricket, seeks the help of a vagabond drunkard to be his coach. The movie starred Shreyas Talpade, Naseeruddin Shah and Shweta Prasad.
- Manjhi – The Mountain Man – Based on a real life story, Manjh is about the real life character who broke down a mountain and carved a pathway, by toiling relentless for 22 long years, with only a hammer and a chisel. The movie starred Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Radhika Apte.
Other honorable Bollywood movies with an inspirational or motivational theme include Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (2013), Swades (2004), Dil Chahta Hai (2001) and Rocket Singh – Salesman of the Year (2009)